Match Reports

Championship Finalists Beaten in Brownsgrove

posted 4 Nov 2013, 17:20 by Unknown user

The Senior team survived a late scare to claim two valuable points in their League encounter with Salthill/Knocknacarra in Brownsgrove on Saturday afternoon. With the number of injuries to key players mounting up, the management team of Ja Varley and Brian Walsh had a bit of reshuffling to do. Norman Connolly started in midfield alongside David Warde with Walsh and Andrew McWalter coming into the full-forward line while Ollie Hannon was drafted into the half-back line. After a scrappy opening ten minutes, which yielded just a single point for the visitors, Cortoon began to take control of the game. Derek Savage picked the ball up on the right wing and, spotting the run of Adrian Varley, found him with pin-point accuracy from 40 yards out. Varley collected and was dragged to the ground unceremoniously as he attempted to turn leaving Warde with the simplest of tap-overs from the resulting free. Salthill regained the lead shortly after but, from the resulting kick-out, Savage ran at the defence up the right wing before being pulled down. He dusted himself off and took the free himself and sent it over from a difficult angle. Salthill added another but their backs were struggling to contain the rampaging Cortoon forward line and, when Mickey Costello was fouled, Warde punished them again with another well taken free. The turning point came in the 18th minute when Donal O’Neill and Savage combined, with the latter feeding the onrushing Brian Roache, who had stolen forward from his corner back position, and he placed it into the bottom corner of the net off the outside of the left boot from 21 yards. The Salthill goal was almost breeched again a minute later when Varley squared the ball to Mickey Costello, whose shot from ten yards was blocked on the line. With 25 minutes on the clock, Walsh received the ball near the right touchline. He took a couple of solos while he looked for options and, finding none, decided to have a pot himself from a very tight angle and sent it straight over the black spot. Savage added another a couple of minutes later when Cortoon broke through Cathal Mulryan and Paul Varley after some great defending by Matthew Concannon and Ollie Hannon snuffed out a Salthill attack. The seasiders pulled one back in the last minute of the half but it was cancelled out in stoppage time when Savage found Walsh in the corner and he worked it out through Costello to Mulryan, just inside the 45, and he drove it over with the outside of the boot to give the Shamrocks a five point lead, 1-6 to 0-4, heading in at the interval.

Cortoon picked up where they left off at the start of the second half with Savage pointing from the first attack and were almost out of sight a minute later when Adrian Varley drove a shot goalwards from a tight angle but the keeper just got his fingertips to the ball to divert it out for a 45. Warde dropped the 45 on the edge of the small rectangle and McWalter rose highest to flick it on but, unfortunately, it fell straight into the hands of the keeper. A Salthill pointed free was quickly cancelled out by Mulryan, who received a quick free from Paul Varley before steadying himself and driving over. The visitors pulled one back and, when a Cortoon attack broke down, they broke quickly up the field and found the back of the net and they followed this up with another point to reduce the deficit to just one point. Cortoon steadied the ship somewhat when Adrian Varley claimed the resulting kick-out and laid it off to Savage, who fed Warde to score his third of the game. Another Salthill point followed before Roache broke forward again but this time his goal-bound was deflected up and over the bar. O’Neill then drove forward, exchanging passes with McWalter before laying off to Paul Varley, who ran at the defence and slotted over. Salthill pulled one back but Cortoon were looking comfortable again and a pointed Warde free was followed by a McWalter point after a very patient build-up to increase the lead to four points. The drama wasn’t over yet, however, as a last minute goal for the visitors meant a few very anxious minutes until the final whistle blew. Full-time score: Cortoon 1-13 Salthill/Knocknacarra 2-9.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Alan Boyle, Matthew Concannon, Brian Roache (1-1); Ollie Hannon, Donal O’Neill, Paul Varley (0-1); Norman Connolly, David Warde (0-4, 3f); Derek Savage (0-3, 1f), Mickey Costello, Cathal Mulryan (0-2); Brian Walsh (0-1), Adrian Varley, Andrew McWalter (0-1). Subs used: Enda Ansbro for Costello (50), Gary Clarke for McWalter (59).

Cortoon Through To Quarter-Final

posted 18 Aug 2013, 15:07 by Unknown user   [ updated 19 Aug 2013, 14:11 ]

A fantastic 2nd half performance saw Cortoon qualify for the quarter-final of the Galway Senior Football Championship at the expense of Kilconly in Tuam Stadium on Sunday evening. Cortoon made a couple of changes to the team which defeated Killererin in the Qualifiers with Fergal Heverin coming in for the injured Adrian Varley and Matthew Concannon replacing Rory Maloney. The loss of Varley was expected to be a massive blow to the Shamrocks but, to their credit, Cortoon battled hard and compensated well. Heverin terrorised the Kilconly full-back line for 60 minutes as they were simply unable to cope with his power and aerial ability while, in the middle third, no quarter was given as every ball was fiercely contested. Derek Savage opened the scoring from a free after Cathal Mulryan was pulled down in the first attack of the game and he should have been awarded a penalty moments later when he was hauled to the ground after skipping by two defenders. Savage then turned provider as he played a beautiful cross-field ball to Heverin who hand-passed out for Martin Connell to send it high and over the bar. Kilconly's reply was to knock over three unanswered points to move in front with two pointed frees from Michael Murphy and a point from John Kerrigan but Cortoon equalised less than 30 seconds later when Donal O'Neill burst out of defence, played it forward to Mulryan, took the return and slotted over. Two more points from Murphy, one free, put Kilconly two up before Cortoon were denied another penalty. A free was awarded on the 45 yard line and Joseph Donnellan pumped it into the area. Heverin challenged but appeared to be pulled down as he was jumping. He certainly had the Kilconly defence worried and another high ball in on top of him was won as he broke it down to Brian Walsh, who had just come in as a blood replacement for Derek Savage. Walsh quickly found Connell outside him and he popped it over. Kilconly restored their two point advantage through a Padraic Moran free before both sides had goal chances. First, a Kilconly forward drove wide from six yards after breaking through the Cortoon defence but Cortoon keeper, Darragh Glynn, came off his line and did enough to force the mistake. Seconds later and Heverin did well to break a ball, which looked to be going wide, back to Savage who drove a shot through a crowd of bodies but the keeper did well to get down and save. With the last action of the half, Mulryan sent over a 35 yard effort to reduce the deficit to the bare minimum as Kilconly took a 0-6 to 0-5 lead into the break.
Moran opened the second half scoring for Kilconly with a pointed free but from there on it was all Cortoon as they piled forward in numbers and won every loose ball. Connell looked to have pulled one back for Cortoon but the Umpire at the other end of the pitch signalled to the Referee that the ball had gone wide for a Cortoon goal-kick earlier in the move. Heverin then found himself with a goal opportunity as he won yet another aerial duel around the square but he was off balance as he was shooting and his effort when high and wide. Cortoon got their first score in the second half in the 11th minute through a pointed Savage free and they wouldn't look back from there. David Finnegan charged forward and unleashed a shot which rebounded to Heverin six yards out and he smashed it emphatically into the back of the net to send the Shamrock supporters wild. He almost had another moments later when he flicked on a high ball but it landed just the wrong side of the post. Savage then played a short free to Mulryan and, through Connell, it found its way to Brion Gilmore, who had ventured forward from the back-line, and he put it between the uprights while Shane Gilmore, immense in the middle of the park, added another moments later. In the 23rd minute of the half, Moran scored from a free for Kilconly's first score for 22 minutes to cut the gap to three points. In the final few minutes, Cortoon were guilty of a number of missed opportunities as the wides count added up and they were almost made to pay for it when a ball over the top was met with a punch which flew just wide. Kilconly were getting more and more frustrated and their task was made impossible when centre-back, Kevin Brady, swung a fist at Shane Gilmore and caught him square on the jaw. Referee, Mairtin O'Griofa, had no option but to send him off. David Warde added the insurance point in the fifth minute of added time in what turned out to be the last action of the game as Cortoon advanced to the quarter-final stage for the first time since reaching the County final in 2008.
The quarter-final draw will be held in the Bon Secours Hospital on Monday 19th August at 6.00pm.
Team: Darragh Glynn; Alan Boyle, Brion Gilmore (0-1), Brian Roache; Matthew Concannon, Donal O'Neill (0-1), Paul Varley; Shane Gilmore (0-1), David Finnegan (capt); Cathal Mulryan (0-1), David Warde (0-2), Derek Savage (0-2, 2f); Martin Connell (0-1), Fergal Heverin (1-0), Joseph Donnellan. Subs used: Brian Walsh for Savage (Blood Sub) (23 & 62), Rory Maloney for Donnellan (49).

Cortoon go goal crazy in replay victory

posted 10 Aug 2013, 13:33 by Unknown user   [ updated 13 Aug 2013, 02:54 ]

After an 8 week gap, the replay of the Senior Championship Qualifier between Cortoon and local rivals, Killererin, finally went ahead on Saturday in Tuam Stadium and it was certainly worth the wait as Cortoon served up a defensive masterclass to upset the odds and advance to the 3rd round and a meeting with Kilconly in Tuam Stadium on Sunday at 6.15pm. The Shamrocks welcomed back Galway u21 stars, Cathal Mulryan and Paul Varley, who had just returned from America and Shane Gilmore, who was flown in from Canada to add much needed strength to the middle third.
At times this season, Cortoon seemed to struggle with the new style of play introduced by manager, Tom Newell, but they persevered and are now beginning to reap the rewards as can be evident in their last two Championship outings. Donal ONeill, high on confidence following his impressive displays for Galway, carried that form into this game as he nullified the threat of Killererin captain, Nicky Joyce, limiting him to just two points from play while Adrian Varley was in scintillating form up front, scoring four wonderful points and was at the heart of most of Cortoons attacks. Cortoon defended as a unit and were able to break quickly through the pace of the half-back line of Rory Maloney, ONeill, and Paul Varley. Killererin looked to Padraic Joyce to rescue their Championship hopes but he was well shackled by Brion Gilmore and, later, Brian Roache and he was denied the service in areas where he could do damage.
Cortoon didnt waste any time getting into the game and were two points to the good after five minutes following points from Adrian Varley and Derek Savage. A minute later, Maloney found Joseph Donnellan on the edge of the square and his low shot beat the keeper but not the defender that had gotten back on the line. James Hughes pulled one back for Killererin before ONeill broke out of defence and played a ball into space for Adrian Varley who pointed from 30 yards. Killererin enjoyed a ten minute spell of dominance as they knocked over five unanswered points to lead by three, with Padraic Joyce bagging two, one from a free, and one each for Nicky Joyce and Michael Boyle, and a pointed 45. Mulryan stopped the rot in the 19th minute after Cortoon captain,David Finnegan, had broken a kick-out to Savage, who made space for himself on the 65 before finding Mulryan who cut inside onto his left and fired over. A Nicky Joyce pointed free restored Killererins three point lead but Savage cut it back to two again with a pointed free of his own following a foul on Mulryan. The game swung in Cortoons favour in the 25th minute when Martin Connell mishit his point attempt and it looped over the stranded keeper and into the back of the net to put the Shamrocks a point up. Padraic Joyce levelled the macth but the lead was restored just before the break when Roache attacked up the wing and played the ball up the line to Adrian Varley who cut inside and curled over a fine point of his left foot.
The second half started with a bang when, straight from the throw-in, Paul Varley broke forward and fed Donnellan who drove it low and hard into the corner of the net. Nicky Joyce reduced the gap to three before Shane Gilmore came out on top in an aerial battle in midfield and fed it to Adrian Varley who played a quick 1-2 with Savage and fisted over his fourth of the game. The game got a bit heated with hard tackles going in from both sides and referee, Muiris Mac Gearailt, had to step in and restore order when he booked Killererins Tom Hughes for a wild challenge. Nicky Joyce pointed a free and Killererin had a goal chance midway through the half when a high ball was launched into the Cortoon goalmouth. Goalkeeper, Darragh Glynn, came off his line to punch clear under pressure and Cortoon broke quickly and devastatingly. Savage played in Donnellan and, when he tried to release Connell, a Killererin hand deflected the ball back to him and he buried it in the back of the net to put the sky blues six points in front. Another pointed free from Nicky Joyce was cancelled out by a fine David Warde point before a Padraic Joyce point cut the gap to five. Fergal Heverin came on for Cortoon in the 50th minute for his first Senior Championship action of the year to replace two-goal hero Donnellan, who had picked up an injury, and his impact was immediate. Barely seconds on the pitch and a high ball was dropped in on the square. Heverin ran in and challenged goalkeeper, Alan Fahy, in the air. The ball fell kindly for him and he was able to punch it into an empty net and punch the air with delight as Cortoon went eight clear. Both sides saw goal chances go begging as, first, Padraic Joyce fired wide from ten yards whilst surrounded by sky blue shirts. Then, two minutes later, Paul Varley ventured forward and his shot was spilled by the keeper and, with Heverin ready to pounce, a defender got back to nick it off his toe and clear the danger. Killererin did get their goal on 57 minutes through substitute, Kevin Murphy, but it was too little, too late. In the 60th minute, Savage found Adrian Varley up the touchline and a sublime hand-pass over his shoulder found substitute, Norman Connolly, who raced forward and fisted over. A fourth pointed free for Nicky Joyce in injury-time finished out the scoring and consigned Killererin to the relegation dog-fight. The victory will come as a much needed morale booster and Cortoon will look to carry their momentum into their clash with Kilconly on Sunday. Full-time score: Cortoon 4-9 Killererin 1-13.
Team: Darragh Glynn; Alan Boyle, Brion Gilmore, Brian Roache; Rory Maloney, Donal ONeill, Paul Varley; Shane Gilmore, David Finnegan (capt.); Cathal Mulryan (0-1), David Warde (0-1), Derek Savage (0-2, 1f); Adrian Varley (0-4), Martin Connell (1-0), Joseph Donnellan (2-0). Subs used: Fergal Heverin (1-0) for Donnellan (50), Adrian McDonnell for Maloney (52), Norman Connolly (0-1) for Connell (56), Matthew Concannon for A Varley (61).

Late Late Goal Ends John Dunne Campaign

posted 30 Jun 2013, 16:59 by Unknown user

The Seniors were undone by an injury-time goal in extra-time, in their John Dunne Cup game in Kilconly on Sunday evening. The game was eventually played after being rescheduled numerous times over the last few weeks. There was very little to choose between the sides throughout the game and certainly no quarter was being given as both sides gave it everything. This was Cortoon’s first game since Cathal Mulryan and Paul Varley left for the States so it meant a bit of a reshuffle for manager, Tom Newell. Adrian McDonnell and Rory Maloney were asked to play out of position in the half-back line while Enda Ansbro was drafted into midfield and Brian Walsh in the full-forward line in place of the injured Norman Connolly and inelligible County player Donal O’Neill and all four acquitted themselves well.

Kilconly opened the scoring with a point in the fourth minute while it took until the eighth minute for Cortoon to open their account. Maloney played a ball out of defence up to Walsh who handed off to David Warde, playing at centre-forward. Warde angled a ball into Adrian Varley who cut back inside and fired over from 25 yards. Varley added another five minutes later after a Kilconly attack was well cut out by Brion Gilmore before playing an exquisite cross-field ball to Varley who lost his man and fired over off his left foot. Kilconly got the next two scores, one from a free, to retake the lead but Cortoon responded well. Alan Boyle played a ball into the corner to Varley who pointed from 35 yards and the resulting kick-out was won and Warde sent it straight back over the bar to put Cortoon back in front. A loose ball was picked up by McDonnell and he fed Warde who sent in a high ball to the full-forward line. Varley broke it to Derek Savage who popped it over from 25 yards. A quick free from Savage found Gilmore who played it into Varley and he turned and sent over his fourth point of the game. A Kilconly point rounded off the half and Cortoon went in two up at the break. Kilconly 0-4 Cortoon 0-6.

It was almost the perfect start to the second half for Cortoon as a long ball forward bounced in front of Varley and the full-back and it hopped up over the two. Varley reacted quickest and raced along the end-line but he flashed his shot across the face of goal. At the other end, Kilconly broke and looked to have the goal at their mercy but Gilmore got back to hold them up before McDonnell got back to put in a great block. Walsh then found Savage unmarked with a sideline kick and he knocked it over with his right foot from 25 yards. Kilconly pointed a minute later and the resulting kick-out was held up in the wind. Kilconly broke through the middle and found the back of the net to retake the lead. Warde equalised two minutes later when Savage and David Finnegan combined to find him 30 yards from goal and he slotted it over. Kilconly added two more before Warde claimed in midfield and fed Maloney who played it up the line to Savage. He steadied himself and, from out near the sideline, sent it over with his “weaker” right foot. Another Kilconly point followed before a move involving all of the Cortoon front eight resulted in a point for Martin Connell. Cramp and fatigue were starting to take its toll on both sides and Cortoon were forced to replace influential corner-back Brian Roache, who pulled up in the build up to Connell’s point. With the clock ticking away, Kilconly took control and sent over three points to leave them four up in injury-time. The game was up, or so they thought. In search of a goal, Cortoon sent Finnegan into the full-forward line and the move paid off. A quick free from Andrew McWalter found Maloney who launched a ball into the area. Finnegan rose highest and gathered it in. Clutching it to his chest, he burst through the tackles and buried it in the back of the net. The equalising point came a minute later, in the fourth minute of injury-time. Great work from Warde and Varley ended with Gilmore in front of the posts and he drove over. Kilconly 1-11 Cortoon 1-11.

Extra-time was probably the last thing either of the sides wanted with players dropping all over the pitch. Cortoon opened the extra-time scoring when Gilmore found Varley near the line and he sent it over off his left foot. The resulting kick-out was won by Cortoon and Warde dispatched it from 35 yards. Kilconly equalised with two points, one from a free, before Varley added his sixth of the game to leave the Shamrocks one up at the break.

Cortoon started the second half of extra-time with a bang as a free from Maloney dropped short and, in the ensuing goalmouth scramble, Barry Rooney reacted quickest to smash home from five yards and Cortoon were now four up. A minute later, Kilconly broke through the middle and goalkeeper, Darragh Glynn, was forced to throw his body on the line to block the shot from point-blank range. There was a lengthy break while Glynn received treatment but, unfortunately, he wasn’t able to continue and Adrian Ansbro came in to replace him. During the stoppage, something must have been said to the referee because he sent the Kilconly centre-back to the line. If anything though, the sending-off galvanised Kilconly as they poured forward in an attempt to cut the deficit. They scored two points to cut the gap to two before, in the third minute of injury-time, a long ball was pumped into the area. A Kilconly hand got to it first and it ended up in the back of the net. Kilconly added a pointed free shortly after and Cortoon were out. It was a gutsy performance and one they probably deserved more from. Full-time score: Kilconly 2-16 Cortoon 2-14.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Alan Boyle, Matthew Concannon, Brian Roache; Adrian McDonnell, Brion Gilmore (0-1), Rory Maloney; David Finnegan (1-0), Enda Ansbro; Derek Savage (0-3), David Warde (0-3), Martin Connell (0-1); Brian Walsh, Adrian Varley (0-6), Ryan Rooney. Subs used: Barry Rooney (1-0) for Walsh (43), Andrew McWalter for Roache (55), Patrick Kenny for Connell (60), Adrian Ansbro for Glynn (76).

u16s Downed By Injury-Time Goal

posted 30 Jun 2013, 16:57 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Jul 2013, 03:14 ]

Last Tuesday evening, the u16 team were beaten in the League in Clonbern in somewhat controversial circumstances. Cortoon had agreed to play a 12-a-side game as Kilkerrin-Clonbern didn't think they could field a full team. As it turned out, Clonbern had enough players but only 12 players showed up for the visitors so both teams agreed to play with 12. Cortoon hit the front from the off when Ronan Boyle played a one-two with Ross Holian and tapped over before a shot from distance from Liam Maloney dropped under the crossbar and into the back of the net. Clonbern hit back in the next five minutes as they knocked over four points, one from a free, to level things up. A Cortoon break in the ninth minute saw a goal-bound effort from Maloney saved by the keeper. The rebound fell to Holian whose shot was blocked on the line but Cortoon recycled possession through Jordan Rooney who played it out to Eoghan Fahy who beat his man and fired over. Martin Boyle added another as he punished a poor kick-out. In the 15th minute, Holian did well to retain possession under pressure on the 45 and, handing it off to Boyle, continued forward. Boyle faked to shoot but instead played it inside to the now unmarked Holian who calmly slotted into the corner of the net. A minute later, and this time Boyle did take the shot as he drove over a fine point from 40 yards. A frenetic three minutes ensued as, first, the Cortoon defence was breached, leaving the Clonbern forward in, one-on-one with stand-in goalkeeper, Dylan Lowry. Lowry stood his ground, however, and stuck out a hand to block the shot and clear the danger. Cortoon broke quickly and Holian hand-passed to Boyle who shot over from 35 yards. Clonbern, however, went straight back up the pitch and a low shot into the corner left Lowry with no chance. The home side attacked again from the resulting kick-out and it took an acrobatic save, down to his right, from Lowry to keep them out again. The visitors, again, went straight up the other end as Rooney hand-passed inside to Fahy who drove his shot against the crossbar. The ball popped up in the air and both Rooney and Fahy challenged for it in the air with the goalkeeper and full-back with Rooney getting the decisive hand to it and punching it to the net. Fahy added a delightful point with the outside of the right boot from 30 yards before Lowry was called into action yet again. A high ball was dropped in around the small rectangle and Lowry had to be alert to clear the danger with the assistance of Dylan Walsh and Cortoon went in at the break leading by 3-6 to 1-4.
When the teams lined up for the second half, Clonbern had sent on an extra player to bring their numbers to thirteen. Conbern made use of the "extra" man as they restricted Cortoon to just two second half points, from Martin Boyle and Dylan Walsh, while they dispatched 2-6 themselves, with the final, killer goal coming in stoppage time at the end of the game. Full-time score: Clonbern 3-10 Cortoon 3-8.
Team: Dylan Lowry; Thomas Nicholson, Dylan Walsh (0-1); Padraic Neenan, Patrick Fleming, Damian Boyle; Ronan Boyle (0-1), Ross Holian (1-0); Martin Boyle (0-4), Eoghan Fahy (0-2); Jordan Rooney (1-0), Liam Maloney (1-0).

Superb Defensive Display Earns Cortoon A Replay

posted 18 Jun 2013, 11:23 by Unknown user

The Senior team ground out a hard-earned draw with Killererin in the Senior Championship Qualifier in Tuam Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Two of our All-Ireland u21 heroes, Cathal Mulryan and Paul Varley, showed just what the Club means to them by postponing their flights to America to play in the game and both played a pivotal role in earning a replay. Going into the game, the key was to keep the Joyces, Padraic and Nicky, quiet and Brion Gilmore and Donal O’Neill were tasked with this unenviable job. Both stuck to their men like glue and, in the first half in particular, stifled the Killererin attack. Killererin opened the scoring with two quick points before Mulryan found the back of the net. Adrian Varley received the ball in the corner and he beat his man along the end-line before sending a delightful ball across the goal to Mulryan who turned his man inside-out and fired past the keeper. Derek Savage won a ball out near the sideline and found Mulryan inside him, who played a low, angled ball into the corner to Adrian Varley. He took one solo before firing over a left-footed effort from a tight angle. Moments later, Paul Varley launched a long ball forward from the left-wing towards his brother, Adrian at full-forward. The break fell for Savage who popped it over with the right from 20 yards. Killererin pulled one back before Ryan Rooney was fouled about 40 yards from goal. David Warde took the free short to Adrian Varley who quickly turned and fired over another beauty with the left foot, again from a tight angle. Killererin reduced the gap to one with a point from play and a pointed free. O’Neill, playing at centre-back, ventured forward in the 24th minute and, following a strong run, passed inside to Savage who drew the foul. Warde made no mistake with the free. Two minutes later, O’Neill burst forward again, this time making it as far as the 21 before being brought down. Savage, this time, with the easy free. A pointed free from Killererin was followed by a fine pointed free from Savage from out near the sideline after Adrian Varley was fouled in the corner. Killererin added one more point in first half injury-time to cut the gap to two going in at the break.

Killererin came out fighting in the second half and knocked over three unanswered points to take the lead by one. In the 37th minute, Mulryan collected a short kick-out from goalkeeper, Darragh Glynn, and, as he turned, was hit hard by Michael Boyle and went down in some considerable pain with a dead leg. Boyle was booked for his challenge and, after some lengthy treatment, Mulryan was able to continue. In the 39th minute, Rooney collected a high ball into the box and was tripped as he turned. Referee, James Molloy, pointed to the spot. Savage took responsibility for the kick but, unfortunately, he got under it slightly and sent it over the bar. Things were to get worse as a long ball over the top eluded everyone and, as Matthew Concannon tried to recover, he came together with his man. A free was awarded to Killererin and Concannon, somewhat harshly, was shown his second yellow card and Cortoon were down to 14 men. The free was tapped over and Killererin led by one, with a one-man advantage for the remaining 18 minutes. As often happens, though, the sending-off galvanised the Shamrocks and every man upped their performance levels as they defended for dear life. Every loose ball was chased down and the Killererin were given no time on the ball. A pointed free from Savage levelled the game after a foul on O’Neill before another free from Savage was played short to Mulryan who sent over a monster point from 45 yards. A minute later David Finnegan powered forward and, through Brian Roache and Mulryan, the ball was worked to Martin Connell in space who fired over from 30 yards to put Cortoon two up. Killererin brought the sides level again with two points, one from a free as the game headed into injury-time. In the second added minute, a great long free out of defence from Alan Boyle found Warde near the sideline on the halfway line. He powered forward before unleashing a shot from 40 yards which sailed over the crossbar. As the clocked ticked away, Cortoon defended brilliantly against everything Killererin threw at them but, in the 5th extra minute, Killererin were awarded what seemed like a very soft free on the 45. The referee told Padraic Joyce that it would be the last kick of the game and, as his teammates were crouching in the middle of the field he sent it agonisingly (for Cortoon) over the bar to send the game into extra-time.

Mulryan, who went off towards the end of normal-time, still suffering from the knock he picked up early in the second half, was re-introduced to bring Cortoon back to its full compliment again. Killererin pointed in the fourth minute but Cortoon responded emphatically. A free out on the left wing was launched into the area by Paul Varley and was claimed brilliantly in the air on the corner of the small rectangle by Adrian Varley who drilled it into the back of the net. Killererin pulled one back before the referee spotted an off-the-ball foul on Savage which Warde duly punished to leave Cortoon two up at half-time in extra-time. Killererin pulled one back early in the second half and most of the half saw the Cortoon defence continually frustrating the Killererin attack. Cramp and fatigue were beginning to show as the physio was made to earn his money as every last ounce of energy was being given by everyone. It wasn’t to be, however, as Killererin got their equaliser in the second minute of injury-time to send the game to a replay. Full-time score: Cortoon 2-12 Killererin 0-18 after extra-time.

It was a Herculean effort by everyone and one which will have to be repeated without, unfortunately, the services of Mulryan and Paul Varley who jet off to the States. For now though, every single man in Sky Blue can take pride in their performance on Sunday when nothing was left behind.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Matthew Concannon, Brion Gilmore, Brian Roache; Alan Boyle, Donal O’Neill, Paul Varley; David Finnegan (c), David Warde (0-3, 2f); Cathal Mulryan (1-1), Mickey Costello, Norman Connolly; Derek Savage (0-5, 3f, 1pen), Adrian Varley (1-2), Ryan Rooney. Subs used: Martin Connell (0-1) for Costello (HT), Brian Walsh for Rooney (58), Joseph Donnellan for Mulryan (59), Mulryan for Concannon (ET), Costello for A. Varley (82).

Following the game, Cathal Mulryan was presented with the Connacht Hotel Sportsperson of the Month for April in recognition of his outstanding displays for the Galway u21s as they matched to All-Ireland glory. Congratulations Cathal, it was well deserved.

At the time of writing, no date has been set for the replay. The Seniors are due to play Kilconly away in the John Dunne Cup on Thursday evening although this is subject to change. Please check the website/Facebook for details.

Juniors Come Up Short In Championship Opener

posted 18 Jun 2013, 11:21 by Unknown user

The Junior team suffered defeat in the opening round of the Junior A Championship in Tuam Stadium on Thursday evening as they were no match for an Annaghdown team that are currently riding high in the Intermediate League. A dismal first half display saw Annaghdown race into a ten-point lead before Cortoon got their first score in the 28th minute. A kick-out from stand-in goalkeeper, Thomas Lee, was fielded brilliantly in midfield by Fergal Heverin who played a long ball into the full-forward line. The breaking ball was won by Daniel Heverin who slotted it over the bar. Cortoon showed a bit more fight in the second half and in the fifth minute of the half Fergal Heverin was clinically fouled as he bore down on goal. Patrick Kenny stepped up and slotted over the free. Kenny added another free shortly after before Fergal Heverin claimed a long ball on the edge of the square. Surrounded by defenders, he did well to get his shot away but, unfortunately, it was straight at the keeper. Annaghdown broke down the far end and Lee was powerless as the ball was drilled past him into the corner of the net and this was quickly followed by a point to increase their lead to 11. In the 50th minute, Fergal Heverin won the ball on his own 21 and broke free to play it out to the wing to his brother, Daniel, who turned quickly and played it up the line to Sean Keane. Keane immediately hand-passed inside to Andrew McWalter, who was coming at pace and stroked over a delightful point from 40 yards with his left foot. Annaghdown increased the lead again with a point in the 54th minute but, from the resulting kick-out, Fergal Heverin fielded the ball just inside his own half before driving forward and kicking a point from 45 yards. A Gary Geoghegan pointed free followed with the outside of the boot from the 45 yard line before Fergal Heverin was, yet again, brought to ground as he bore down on goal. Geoghegan attempted to blast it into the back of the net but an Annaghdown hand got to it to tip it over the bar. A further point in the dying seconds finished out the game to leave the scores at Cortoon 0-7 Annaghdown 1-13.

Although they were outclassed in the first half, the Juniors can take confidence from their second half performance as they matched their much fancied opponents score for score.

Team: Thomas Lee; Niall Keane, Cathal Joyce, Paul Bradley; Darragh Browne, Ollie Hannon, Andrew McWalter (0-1); Enda Ansbro, Daniel Heverin (0-1); Kieran Kelly (c), Gary Geoghegan (0-2, 2f), Patrick Kenny (0-2, 2f); Barry Rooney, Fergal Heverin (0-1), Ryan Keane. Subs used: Dean Fahy for Bradley (41), Sean Keane for Rooney (46), Pat O’Connor for Kelly (51).

The Juniors have been drawn to face Killererin in the Junior A Championship Qualifiers. This game should take place the weekend after next.

Seniors held by Menlough

posted 3 Jun 2013, 14:35 by Unknown user

The Senior team were forced to battle hard to earn a draw with Menlough in their League game in Brownsgrove on Monday afternoon. Missing a number of key players, it took Cortoon a while to get into their stride as Menlough opened up a four point lead before they registered their first score through a Cathal Mulryan point in the 21st minute with Donal O’Neill bringing the best out of the Menlough keeper with a fierce drive in the 6th minute. Two more points quickly followed from Ryan Rooney and Norman Connolly to reduce the gap to one. Menlough increased their lead before a quick free from Martin Connell released Mulryan who drove over. At the other end Darragh Glynn was called into action in the Cortoon goal to tip over and one of his trademark forays forward resulted in corner-back, Brian Roache, getting himself on the scoresheet from a tight angle to leave the bare minimum between the sides at half-time. From the restart, David Warde broke the throw-in to Connell who played an early ball in to Adrian Varley, who cut inside and slotted his left-foot effort over from 25 yards. Varley added his second moments later when Warde again won the ball in the middle and played it in to him to put the Shamrocks in front for the first (and only) time in the game. Menlough responded quickly with a point of their own. Shortly after, Matthew Concannon received the ball in defence and, as he turned, he was met with a crunching, yet it must said, fair, shoulder charge which dumped him on the ground. To his credit, he bounced straight back up to retain possession and clear his lines. His opponent, however, didn’t fare so well and, after some lengthy treatment, was forced to withdraw from the game with a suspected broken collarbone. Warde tapped over a free in the 46th minute after the keeper had over-carried under pressure from the Cortoon forwards. Menlough went in front again following a pointed free while Warde pulled it back again after he rode two tackles before pointing from 25 yards. Another pointed free was again cancelled out by Warde who received the break from Alan Boyle following Mickey Costello’s cross-field ball.

Full-time score: Cortoon Shamrocks 0-10 Menlough 0-10.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Matthew Concannon, David Finnegan, Brian Roache (0-1); Cathal Mulryan (0-2), Donal O’Neill, Alan Boyle; David Warde (0-3, 1f), Brion Gilmore; Norman Connolly (0-1), Martin Connell, Adrian McDonnell; Ryan Rooney (0-1), Adrian Varley (0-2), Rory Maloney. Subs used: Mickey Costello for McDonnell (50).

Juniors Defeated by Dunmore

posted 3 Jun 2013, 14:33 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jun 2013, 14:36 ]

The Junior team were somewhat unlucky to lose to Dunmore in the League on Friday evening in Brownsgrove. They got off to a terrible start as a long ball into the full-back line seemed to be lost in the low evening sun and the corner-forward nipped in to flick it past the advancing Cortoon keeper, Darragh Glynn. The Shamrocks responded immediately and Gary Geoghegan received the ball in the corner and sent over a delightful point from a tight angle. The resulting kick-out was won by Daniel Heverin and the ball was moved swiftly up the middle through Thomas Lee, Fergal Heverin, and Kieran Kelly, who was halted illegally as he bore down on goal. Jim Gilmore stepped up and tapped over the free to reduce the gap to one. In the sixth minute, Dunmore broke forward and a ball into the full-forward was brilliantly read and intercepted by full-back, Enda Ansbro, who burst forward up to half-way before playing it up to Gilmore. He quickly hand-passed it off to the on-rushing Geoghegan, who rifled in an unstoppable shot to the corner of the net. Dunmore barely had time to comprehend what had just happened when Cortoon struck again. From the right wing, Darragh Browne dropped a high ball in on top of the full-forward line. Patrick Kenny challenged in the air and was quickest to react to his own break and he drilled the ball home. Dunmore replied with a point and the resulting kick-out was fielded brilliantly in midfield by Fergal Heverin who played a quick ball into the corner. Gilmore did very well to keep it from running out over the end-line and he turned and played a great cross-field ball to find Daniel Heverin unmarked in the centre to tap over. Dunmore rallied though, and scored five unanswered points to level the match. In the 23rd minute, Kelly received the ball in the corner and worked it out through Gary Clarke and Daniel Heverin to Gilmore who hit a high, looping shot over the bar. A pointed free from Dunmore followed before Glynn was called into action to tip over a fierce goal-bound effort. Next, it was the turn of the Dunmore keeper to save his side as he turned a Clarke effort round the post. A point for Dunmore in stoppage-time rounded out the half with Cortoon trailing by two at 2-4 to 1-9.

Dunmore started the second half brightly and tapped over a point in the first attack. The referee awarded a throw-in following a scuffle for the ball which was well claimed by Fergal Heverin, who shrugged off his man to shoot from 35 yards. His effort came back off the top of the post and almost fell to Lee on the edge of the square but the defender was able to nip in and clear the danger. A Dunmore point was followed by a dubious goal in which the corner-forward appeared to throw the ball to his teammate and the shot looped over Glynn into the net to extend their lead to seven. The Cortoon management made a switch in the forward-line, bringing Gilmore out to the 45 and Kenny going into the corner and it reaped immediate dividends after Kelly won the ball in midfield and fed it to Kenny who popped over the point. Kenny followed that with another after being found by Gilmore to reduce the gap to five. Geoghegan then received the ball on the 45 and he powered through the defence and unleashed a fierce drive and the Dunmore keeper could only stand and watch as the ball crashed back off the crossbar. Dunmore pointed before Geoghegan drove over the final score of the game on 53 mins and, try as they might, Cortoon just couldn’t peg them back.

Full-time score: Cortoon Shamrocks 2-7 Dunmore McHales 2-12.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Niall Keane, Enda Ansbro, Cathal Joyce; Darragh Browne, Ollie Hannon, Andrew McWalter; Daniel Heverin (0-1), Thomas Lee; Garry Clarke, Kieran Kelly, Patrick Kenny (1-2); Gary Geoghegan (1-2), Fergal Heverin, Jim Gilmore (0-2, 1f). Subs used: Paul Bradley for Clarke (36), Sean Keane (43).

Cortoon Advance In John Dunne Cup

posted 12 May 2013, 12:36 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jun 2013, 14:53 ]

The Senior team advanced to the third round of the John Dunne Cup on Sunday evening following a hard-fought victory away to Kilkerrin/Clonbern. Cortoon got off to the perfect start as Cathal Mulryan, fresh from his starring role in the All-Ireland u21 final, pointed in the very first attack. Clonbern had a goal chance a few minutes later but goalkeeper, Darragh Glynn, closed down the attacker but, in doing so, fell awkwardly on his shoulder. David Warde then added another point before Glynn couldn’t continue and had to be replaced by Adrian Ansbro. The home side pulled one back from a free but a point from full-forward, Adrian Varley, another All-Ireland hero, restored the advantage. Mickey Costello went close to finding the back of the net in the 12th minute but his effort was blocked. Clonbern reduced the deficit to one with a point before Costello again went close to raising a green flag, this time finding only the side netting. A quick ’45 from Mulryan found Adrian McDonnell in space and he slotted over to extend the lead to two. Clonbern then hit a purple patch as they scored 1-2 without reply but the Shamrocks dug in and two points from Warde closed out the half and the teams were separated by the smallest of margins as Clonbern led by 1-4 to 0-6.

Clonbern went on the attack straight from the restart and doubled their lead with a point. In the third minute of the half, a ball over the top of the Cortoon defence eluded full-back Enda Ansbro and, while trying to recover, only succeeded in bringing down his man. Referee, Gerry Daly, signalled a penalty and it looked like the game was about to get away from Cortoon. Adrian Ansbro, however, had other ideas and spared his brothers blushes as he dived low to his right to keep out the spot-kick. This spurred on the rest of the team as they blitzed Clonbern with five unanswered points from Adrian Varley, Warde (2), Alan Boyle, and Rory Maloney. Mulryan then had a chance at goal after he was found with a delightful ball from Adrian Varley but he drilled his shot just the wrong side of the upright and into the side netting. Clonbern reduced the gap to one with a pointed free and one from play and the two sides exchanged points as Warde got his sixth of the game following some neat play between Brian Roache and David Finnegan and Jim Gilmore slotted one over after a lung-busting run forward by our third u21 hero, Paul Varley, in which he exchanged passes with his brother, Adrian. Cortoon held on to win by a single point and can look forward now to the Championship which starts in a couple of weeks against Tuam Stars. Full-time score: Kilkerrin/Clonbern 1-9 Cortoon Shamrocks 0-13.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Matthew Concannon, Enda Ansbro, Andrew McWalter; Damian Varley, Brion Gilmore, Paul Varley; David Finnegan, Cathal Mulryan (0-1); Norman Connolly, Alan Boyle (0-1), Adrian McDonnell (0-1); David Warde (0-6), Adrian Varley (0-2), Mickey Costello. Subs used: Adrian Ansbro for Glynn (8), Brian Roache for D. Varley (HT), Rory Maloney (0-1) for E. Ansbro (39), Jim Gilmore (0-1) for Costello (45).

1-10 of 18