Match Reports‎ > ‎

Championship Finalists Beaten in Brownsgrove

posted 4 Nov 2013, 17:20 by Unknown user

The Senior team survived a late scare to claim two valuable points in their League encounter with Salthill/Knocknacarra in Brownsgrove on Saturday afternoon. With the number of injuries to key players mounting up, the management team of Ja Varley and Brian Walsh had a bit of reshuffling to do. Norman Connolly started in midfield alongside David Warde with Walsh and Andrew McWalter coming into the full-forward line while Ollie Hannon was drafted into the half-back line. After a scrappy opening ten minutes, which yielded just a single point for the visitors, Cortoon began to take control of the game. Derek Savage picked the ball up on the right wing and, spotting the run of Adrian Varley, found him with pin-point accuracy from 40 yards out. Varley collected and was dragged to the ground unceremoniously as he attempted to turn leaving Warde with the simplest of tap-overs from the resulting free. Salthill regained the lead shortly after but, from the resulting kick-out, Savage ran at the defence up the right wing before being pulled down. He dusted himself off and took the free himself and sent it over from a difficult angle. Salthill added another but their backs were struggling to contain the rampaging Cortoon forward line and, when Mickey Costello was fouled, Warde punished them again with another well taken free. The turning point came in the 18th minute when Donal O’Neill and Savage combined, with the latter feeding the onrushing Brian Roache, who had stolen forward from his corner back position, and he placed it into the bottom corner of the net off the outside of the left boot from 21 yards. The Salthill goal was almost breeched again a minute later when Varley squared the ball to Mickey Costello, whose shot from ten yards was blocked on the line. With 25 minutes on the clock, Walsh received the ball near the right touchline. He took a couple of solos while he looked for options and, finding none, decided to have a pot himself from a very tight angle and sent it straight over the black spot. Savage added another a couple of minutes later when Cortoon broke through Cathal Mulryan and Paul Varley after some great defending by Matthew Concannon and Ollie Hannon snuffed out a Salthill attack. The seasiders pulled one back in the last minute of the half but it was cancelled out in stoppage time when Savage found Walsh in the corner and he worked it out through Costello to Mulryan, just inside the 45, and he drove it over with the outside of the boot to give the Shamrocks a five point lead, 1-6 to 0-4, heading in at the interval.

Cortoon picked up where they left off at the start of the second half with Savage pointing from the first attack and were almost out of sight a minute later when Adrian Varley drove a shot goalwards from a tight angle but the keeper just got his fingertips to the ball to divert it out for a 45. Warde dropped the 45 on the edge of the small rectangle and McWalter rose highest to flick it on but, unfortunately, it fell straight into the hands of the keeper. A Salthill pointed free was quickly cancelled out by Mulryan, who received a quick free from Paul Varley before steadying himself and driving over. The visitors pulled one back and, when a Cortoon attack broke down, they broke quickly up the field and found the back of the net and they followed this up with another point to reduce the deficit to just one point. Cortoon steadied the ship somewhat when Adrian Varley claimed the resulting kick-out and laid it off to Savage, who fed Warde to score his third of the game. Another Salthill point followed before Roache broke forward again but this time his goal-bound was deflected up and over the bar. O’Neill then drove forward, exchanging passes with McWalter before laying off to Paul Varley, who ran at the defence and slotted over. Salthill pulled one back but Cortoon were looking comfortable again and a pointed Warde free was followed by a McWalter point after a very patient build-up to increase the lead to four points. The drama wasn’t over yet, however, as a last minute goal for the visitors meant a few very anxious minutes until the final whistle blew. Full-time score: Cortoon 1-13 Salthill/Knocknacarra 2-9.

Team: Darragh Glynn; Alan Boyle, Matthew Concannon, Brian Roache (1-1); Ollie Hannon, Donal O’Neill, Paul Varley (0-1); Norman Connolly, David Warde (0-4, 3f); Derek Savage (0-3, 1f), Mickey Costello, Cathal Mulryan (0-2); Brian Walsh (0-1), Adrian Varley, Andrew McWalter (0-1). Subs used: Enda Ansbro for Costello (50), Gary Clarke for McWalter (59).