Match Reports‎ > ‎

Cortoon Through To Quarter-Final

posted 18 Aug 2013, 15:07 by Unknown user   [ updated 19 Aug 2013, 14:11 ]
A fantastic 2nd half performance saw Cortoon qualify for the quarter-final of the Galway Senior Football Championship at the expense of Kilconly in Tuam Stadium on Sunday evening. Cortoon made a couple of changes to the team which defeated Killererin in the Qualifiers with Fergal Heverin coming in for the injured Adrian Varley and Matthew Concannon replacing Rory Maloney. The loss of Varley was expected to be a massive blow to the Shamrocks but, to their credit, Cortoon battled hard and compensated well. Heverin terrorised the Kilconly full-back line for 60 minutes as they were simply unable to cope with his power and aerial ability while, in the middle third, no quarter was given as every ball was fiercely contested. Derek Savage opened the scoring from a free after Cathal Mulryan was pulled down in the first attack of the game and he should have been awarded a penalty moments later when he was hauled to the ground after skipping by two defenders. Savage then turned provider as he played a beautiful cross-field ball to Heverin who hand-passed out for Martin Connell to send it high and over the bar. Kilconly's reply was to knock over three unanswered points to move in front with two pointed frees from Michael Murphy and a point from John Kerrigan but Cortoon equalised less than 30 seconds later when Donal O'Neill burst out of defence, played it forward to Mulryan, took the return and slotted over. Two more points from Murphy, one free, put Kilconly two up before Cortoon were denied another penalty. A free was awarded on the 45 yard line and Joseph Donnellan pumped it into the area. Heverin challenged but appeared to be pulled down as he was jumping. He certainly had the Kilconly defence worried and another high ball in on top of him was won as he broke it down to Brian Walsh, who had just come in as a blood replacement for Derek Savage. Walsh quickly found Connell outside him and he popped it over. Kilconly restored their two point advantage through a Padraic Moran free before both sides had goal chances. First, a Kilconly forward drove wide from six yards after breaking through the Cortoon defence but Cortoon keeper, Darragh Glynn, came off his line and did enough to force the mistake. Seconds later and Heverin did well to break a ball, which looked to be going wide, back to Savage who drove a shot through a crowd of bodies but the keeper did well to get down and save. With the last action of the half, Mulryan sent over a 35 yard effort to reduce the deficit to the bare minimum as Kilconly took a 0-6 to 0-5 lead into the break.
Moran opened the second half scoring for Kilconly with a pointed free but from there on it was all Cortoon as they piled forward in numbers and won every loose ball. Connell looked to have pulled one back for Cortoon but the Umpire at the other end of the pitch signalled to the Referee that the ball had gone wide for a Cortoon goal-kick earlier in the move. Heverin then found himself with a goal opportunity as he won yet another aerial duel around the square but he was off balance as he was shooting and his effort when high and wide. Cortoon got their first score in the second half in the 11th minute through a pointed Savage free and they wouldn't look back from there. David Finnegan charged forward and unleashed a shot which rebounded to Heverin six yards out and he smashed it emphatically into the back of the net to send the Shamrock supporters wild. He almost had another moments later when he flicked on a high ball but it landed just the wrong side of the post. Savage then played a short free to Mulryan and, through Connell, it found its way to Brion Gilmore, who had ventured forward from the back-line, and he put it between the uprights while Shane Gilmore, immense in the middle of the park, added another moments later. In the 23rd minute of the half, Moran scored from a free for Kilconly's first score for 22 minutes to cut the gap to three points. In the final few minutes, Cortoon were guilty of a number of missed opportunities as the wides count added up and they were almost made to pay for it when a ball over the top was met with a punch which flew just wide. Kilconly were getting more and more frustrated and their task was made impossible when centre-back, Kevin Brady, swung a fist at Shane Gilmore and caught him square on the jaw. Referee, Mairtin O'Griofa, had no option but to send him off. David Warde added the insurance point in the fifth minute of added time in what turned out to be the last action of the game as Cortoon advanced to the quarter-final stage for the first time since reaching the County final in 2008.
The quarter-final draw will be held in the Bon Secours Hospital on Monday 19th August at 6.00pm.
Team: Darragh Glynn; Alan Boyle, Brion Gilmore (0-1), Brian Roache; Matthew Concannon, Donal O'Neill (0-1), Paul Varley; Shane Gilmore (0-1), David Finnegan (capt); Cathal Mulryan (0-1), David Warde (0-2), Derek Savage (0-2, 2f); Martin Connell (0-1), Fergal Heverin (1-0), Joseph Donnellan. Subs used: Brian Walsh for Savage (Blood Sub) (23 & 62), Rory Maloney for Donnellan (49).